And to be honest, although I'm disappointed, I don't think trudging on to complete a garment I won't wear is a good idea.
So remember this sneak peek?
I was using this Burda style pattern 127 from 09/2011 which I did not think looked like a tulip skirt in the diagram but in the photo description below it does say "tulip skirt."
It looks like a great skirt but then WHY don't they show it on it's own without the jacket which is conveniently covering the "tulip" part.
Anyway. I'm keeping it real because I was pleased with the slanted side pockets (which I've never done before) and I even had the lining fit.
I went with the right measurements following the Burda chart, a size 38, but found it still quite big and highlighted the poofiness at my belly even more. I didn't take pictures wearing it but trust me, it looked like a giant potato was sitting on top of my legs. ICK.
|Slanted side pockets. Neat!|
|The back darts were made bigger in attempt for a better fit but wasn't much of an improvement.|
I tried pleating and folding the fabric at the top of the skirt to ease out the "poof" but never was happy with the result. The poofy is made by the way the front panel is cut and there was no way around it that I knew.
|Hello neat-looking-almost-completely-invisible zip!|
I've come a long way with my sewing skills and where four years ago I would've raced through and taken short cuts to finish, and not been pleased with the end result. Now I'm on the "slow sewing" bandwagon and want great results from my limited sewing time.
Let me know your own salvaged garment stories as I work on mine..... which I hope has a happy ending!